* Report on American River winter Steelhead
Not much has changed since my last (about a week and a half ago) report on the American River. The hatchery is still only getting a few fish and there are no good reports from the fishermen. I personally checked it out a couple of mornings and didn't see or catch any fish. There is a report, however, that what we call "springers" have showed up. "Springers" are a Rainbow that are around 18 to 20 inches that usually show up around March. They may possibly be remnants of the indigenous Steelhead that spawned in the river prior to construction of the dams. They are a great fish to catch but are kind of spread out in the river so you have to do a little work to find them. I was told that one fishermen got into them at Ancil Hoffman Park.
No one knows what happened to the winter run of big fish and they may still show up. For the time being I wouldn't make a major effort to come up to the American unless you would just like to spend a beautiful day on the river searching out the "Springers". If anyone has any questions, feel free to give me a call or email.
Greg Vinci - (916) 719-6253 - www.california-flyfishing.com
* 11th Annual Sand Crab Classic Perch Tournament - March 14, 2015
This event is limited to the first 300 entries, and we will sell out, so sign up NOW! All proceeds benefit the Monterey Bay Salmon Trout Project.
When: March 14, 2015 - 1:00 PM weigh-in deadline at Portuguese Hall
Where: Portuguese Hall, 216 Evergreen St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Why: Good times, good fishing, good food, and supporting a great cause!
Entry Fee: $40.00 per adult, $30.00 per junior (under 16 yrs. old).
Meal only tickets available at the door for $10.00
What you get for your entry fee:
* BBQ feast after the weigh-in at Portuguese Hall
* One coveted Sand Crab Classic T-shirt! Be sure to mark your size on the entry form (must be present to pick up T-shirt).
* A chance at great prizes and giveaway items from our sponsors!
* The ability to help the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project
You may fish wherever you want with whatever you want, casting from shore, jetties or piers, etc., and within current DFG regulations. Perch taken from any type boat are not eligible. Must weigh in by 1:00 PM. You must return to the Portuguese Hall by the 1:00 PM cut-off time with your catch. To be eligible for any prizes you must check in by the cut-off time of 1:00 PM. We will weigh all fish and determine the winners. The winner in each category will be awarded a trophy and prize. During dinner all prizes and giveaway items will be raffled off to the remaining contestants.
11th ANNUAL SAND CRAB CLASSIC PERCH TOURNAMENT RULES:
1. All fish entered must be caught using methods deemed legal by the California Department of Fish and Game. All adult anglers over the age of 16 must possess a current California fishing license while engaged in fishing for the tournament. Shore fishing only, no boats. Pier fishing is OK.
2. All fish must be presented for weigh-in at the official measuring station by 1:00 PM on Derby Day.
3. Fish caught prior to the day of the Derby are ineligible.
4. All perch species and only perch species are eligible for the Derby. BSP and other perch share top honors, with a full complement of trophies and prizes.
5. Winners will be determined by the single PERCH of greatest weight. Should two or more fish tie for greatest weight, whichever fish is longer will be determined as the winner.
6. Must be present on Derby Day to pick up T-shirts. No shirts available after Derby Day, March 14, 2015.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Back To Table of Contents