Salmon With Beurre Rouge and Smoked-Salmon Stuffed Baked Potato
From Bon Appetit September 2005
|1/2 cup dry red wine||1/4 cup minced shallots|
|1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar||2 8-ounce Yukon Gold potatoes|
|Fine sea salt||10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, divided|
|2 tablespoons whole milk||1/2 cup sour cream|
|4 tablespoons chopped green onion tops, divided||4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped|
|1/4 cup water||4 7- to 8-ounce skinless salmon fillets, each cut lengthwise into 2 strips|
|Cracked black peppercorns||Chopped fresh chives|
1. Bring wine, shallots, and vinegar to boil in heavy small saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cover. Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 400¡F. Place each potato on separate sheet of foil, sprinkle with sea salt, and wrap tightly. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove foil; cool to just warm, about 20 minutes. Cut lengthwise in half. Scoop flesh into medium microwave-safe bowl, leaving 1/4-inch-thick potato shell. Add 2 tablespoons butter and milk to potatoes in bowl; mash well. Stir in sour cream and 3 tablespoons green onion tops. Season to taste with salt and pepper.Can be made 2 hours ahead. Loosely cover shells and filling separately and let stand at room temperature.
3. Rewarm potato shells, then filling, in microwave at 20-second intervals until heated through. Stir smoked salmon into filling; season with sea salt and pepper. Mound filling in shells.
4. Place 1/4 cup water and salmon fillets in heavy large skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover; steam over medium-high heat until salmon is just opaque in center, about 3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, rewarm wine-shallot reduction over medium-low heat. Add remaining 8 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until each is melted before adding next; continue whisking until beurre rouge is thick (do not overheat or sauce may separate). Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon sauce onto 4 plates. Place potatoes on 1 side; sprinkle with remaining green onions. Arrange 2 salmon strips atop sauce on each plate; sprinkle with peppercorns and chives.
Back To Table of Contents