Pan Roasted Sea Bass Recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
1 large onion
1/4 cup Marsala wine
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup of chicken stock
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 fillets of sea bass (approximately 1 lb.)
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
If you can, I highly recommend getting all the ingredients prepped before you start - Mise en Place. This way you're not scrambling around chopping something while the rest of the meal is overcooking. Start out by finely chopping the onion and slicing the mushrooms. Besides having all the other ingredients available, chop up the parsley.
1. Preheat your oven to 450 F.
2. Heat the olive oil in your pan over medium high heat and saute the chopped onion until it's translucent.
3. Deglaze the pan with Marsala wine. Be careful to remove the pan from the stove when doing this to prevent the wine from igniting in your face. You can use white wine if you don't have any Marsala wine. It will give the dish a slightly different taste, but you may like it better.
4. When most of the wine is cooked off, add the mushrooms and butter. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the mushrooms are tender. Taste to determine if they are, and continue to taste throughout the preparation.
5. At this point add the chicken stock, a little salt and pepper, and let the sauce cook down until it thickens a little. Rule of thumb: when the sauce can coat a spoon, it is the correct thickness. This is something you need to play around with until you learn to get it to the thickness you like.
6. In an oven proof saute (fry) pan, heat the canola oil until hot, but not so hot that it's about to smoke.
7. Season the fillets with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. If the filets are skinless, cook them skin side down for approximately 5 minutes until the skin is crispy, then flip and cook for 30 seconds, then transfer to a 450 F degree oven and roast them for about 3-4 more minutes. If the filets have the skin on, cook them on one side for about 5-6 minutes, then flip them over and cook for another 2 minutes before transferring them to the oven for 3-4 minutes.
8. On warm plates (heat plates in a microwave for about 2 minutes), dish out the onion-mushroom mixture and top with the pan roasted fillets. Sprinkle a little of the chopped parsley and serve.
Back to Table of Contents